Frequently Asked Rewiring Questions
Do I need to rewire my house?
There is no direct answer to this question without the consultation of a professional electrician for the inspection of your house. At London Electrix, our electricians are available for electrical inspection of your property. Generally, it is recommended that a house should be rewired in an interval of 25 years.
Also, you should put a few things into consideration when evaluating whether your property needs to be rewired:
- Are your lights working properly, or are they not even working at all?
- Is the rubber protecting your electrical wires still in good condition?
- Do you always have to replace your fuses?
- Have you ever experienced any flood in your home?
If your answer to any of these questions is yes, we advise that you contact us to schedule an electrical inspection. You can give us a call right away.
Why do I need to rewire my property?
- Firstly, you should understand that one of the basic reasons for rewiring is to make your property safer.
- To ensure your electrical outlets are updated. If your property is old, there may be a deficit of electrical outlets or they may be positioned improperly.
- To carry out the installation of smart control systems and energy-efficient lighting during the rewiring process in order to save money in the long run.
- To make sure that your electrical installation functions properly without persistent maintenance.
For how long has the wiring in my property been installed?
You may not be able to easily find out the answer to this because your electrical wiring is embedded inside the walls of your home. Nonetheless, you can still figure out how old your electrical wiring is through some ways;
- Cables encased in black rubber were installed in the 1960s
- Lead or fabric encased wire cables were installed before 1960.
- Fuseboxes that have wooden backs, a combination of fuse boxes, or iron switches were installed before 1960.
- Round light switches, rose, brown or black sockets and switches on boards were installed before 1960.
- Light switches mounted on the wall of bathrooms were installed before the 1960s.
- The presence of earth cables indicates that the electrical wiring was not installed before the early 1980s.
If you think your home has not been rewired for over twenty-five years, it is advisable that you rewire it. To be certain, you should schedule an electrical inspection for your property.
What should I do before the rewiring process begins?
Before the rewiring of your home commences, you should ensure some preparations are put in place. You’ll need first to decide the things that would be replaced, moved, or removed. You will also need to properly pack your belongings to ensure they are safe during the rewiring process.
Do I need a rewire if my home has been flooded?
If your home has ever been flooded, it is possible that your home’s electrical installation may have been affected and damaged. In this case, you will need to rewire at least some parts of the electrical installation.
If your home has been flooded before, you should schedule an electrical inspection.
Is it possible to carry out a partial rewire?
You can partially rewire your home or office property. However, you should clearly state the degree to which the rewiring will be carried out. In a lot of cases, it is unreasonable to partially rewire your property. You can find out if this is possible for your property by calling an electrician for an electrical inspection.
Why should I hire London Electrix for my electrical rewiring?
London Electrix is a reputable electrical company in London that consists of a team of professionals with years of professional experience. We provide you with proper installation that you will be completely satisfied with.